Human Element Leadership Management (HELM)
The course is MCA approved.
To give all masters and officers the education and training in the human element leadership and management at management level meeting the Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiency (KUP) requirements set out in the following:
- Table A-II/2 (masters and chief mates on ships of 500 gross tonnage or more)
- Table AIII/2 (chief engineer officers and second engineer officers on ships powered by main propulsion machinery of 750kW or more)
The course highlights how senior officers can control the operation of the ship and care for persons on board at management level using correct leadership and management skills
Learners shall hold a deck or engineering certificate of competency at the operational level and meet the minimum seagoing service requirements for the issue of a management level Certificate of Competency.
The learner can use leadership and managerial skills to control the operation of the ship and care for persons on board at the management level.
The course is assessed at the end of the final day.
Duration of course is 5 days, (35 hours) within the course the following elements will be dealt with;
- Shipboard human resource management.
- International maritime conventions and guidelines.
- Apply the elements of task and workload management,
- Project management and Decision making.
- Leadership and management attributes
- Use of effective communications on board and ashore,
- Identifying cultural aspects.
- Recognising Teams,
- Roles and responsibilities of a team leader.
- Use of assertiveness, leadership and motivation principles
- Goal setting
- Understanding, developing and maintaining situational awareness:
- Creative thinking and problem solving strategies
- Situational awareness and risk assessment
- Benefit of shipboard training, mentoring and continuous professional development
Using a combination of interactive activities, practical group work sessions and multimedia.
Course availability 2014/2015
- 4th August 2014
- 15th September 2014
- 29th September 2014
- 20th October 2014
- 10th November 2014
- 24th November 2014
- 1st December 2014
- 15th December 2014
- 12th January 2015
- 9th February 2015
- 23rd February 2015
- 9th March 2015
- 6th April 2015
- 27th April 2015
- 18th May 2015
- 1st June 2015
- 15th June 2015
Candidates are asked to bring proof of identity and sea time at the start of the course .
How to Book
Contact Name: Alison Bryce
Contact Number: 0141 565 2700
Contact E-Mail: email@example.com
- Bridge Resource & Ship Management Skills
- Leadership Skills through Practical & Theoretical Excercises
Mandatory for Chief Officers/Engineers & Masters Certificate of Competency.
City Of Glasgow College
21 Thistle Street