Human Element Leadership Management (HELM)
The course is MCA approved.
To give all masters and officers the education and training in the human element leadership and management at management level meeting the Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiency (KUP) requirements set out in the following:
- Table A-II/2 (masters and chief mates on ships of 500 gross tonnage or more)
- Table AIII/2 (chief engineer officers and second engineer officers on ships powered by main propulsion machinery of 750kW or more)
The course highlights how senior officers can control the operation of the ship and care for persons on board at management level using correct leadership and management skills.
Learners shall hold a deck or engineering certificate of competency at the operational level and meet the minimum seagoing service requirements for the issue of a management level Certificate of Competency.
The learner can use leadership and managerial skills to control the operation of the ship and care for persons on board at the management level.
The course is assessed at the end of the final day.
Duration of course is 5 days, (35 hours) within the course the following elements will be dealt with;
- Shipboard human resource management.
- International maritime conventions and guidelines.
- Apply the elements of task and workload management,
- Project management and Decision making.
- Leadership and management attributes
- Use of effective communications on board and ashore,
- Identifying cultural aspects.
- Recognising Teams,
- Roles and responsibilities of a team leader.
- Use of assertiveness, leadership and motivation principles
- Goal setting
- Understanding, developing and maintaining situational awareness:
- Creative thinking and problem solving strategies
- Situational awareness and risk assessment
- Benefit of shipboard training, mentoring and continuous professional development
Using a combination of interactive activities, practical group work sessions and multimedia.
Course availability 2015
- 15th June 2015
- 19th October 2015
- 9th November 2015
- 30th November 2015
- 11th January 2016
- 8th February 2016
- 29th February 2016
- 21st March 2016
- 25th March 2016
- 16th May 2016
- 13th June 2016
Candidates are asked to bring proof of identity and sea time at the start of the course .
"The instructor cares for his class and has a good approach to each individual student and clarifies any doubts." Hemanth Indukuri
"Instructor has a full grip on the course and an excellent way of teaching. Excellent course full of knowledge and new things. I learnt a lot of different new aspects which I will implement in my professional career." Zafar Masood
"I found the course useful and interactive." Goldy Razdan
How to Book
Contact Name: Alison Merrick
Contact Number: 0141 565 2700
Contact E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bridge Resource & Ship Management Skills
- Leadership Skills through Practical & Theoretical Excercises
Mandatory for Chief Officers/Engineers & Masters Certificate of Competency.
City Of Glasgow College
21 Thistle Street
0141 565 2820