Coronavirus (Covid-19) Advice for Students

Student information (18/05/20)

City of Glasgow College is closed and all face to face teaching suspended.

Our focus remains firmly on the health and wellbeing of all our staff and students, and we have been following closely the advice set out by the UK and Scottish Governments. 

Exams have been cancelled. What does that mean?

City of Glasgow College will continue to engage with you to help you with your course and provide as much support as possible to allow you to achieve. We are currently working through the details and practicalities of that. As we do, your lecturers will stay in touch with you and support you in progressing your learning.  

Latest guidance from SQA is that Colleges should consider different elements of students work, achievements and participation since the beginning of your course and since our buildings were closed. Lecturers will work in teams to look holistically at achievements and ensure that there is fair and effective oversight and quality assurance for all. Student's results for the planned units will then be submitted to SQA in the usual way to allow your certificate to be issued as normal. 

The SQA and Colleges Scotland issued a Joint Statement last week. All colleges have agreed to work together under a single set of guidelines which are detailed in the statement.

Please remember to keep in touch and engage with your lecturer and through MyCity for course updates.

If at any point you’re concerned about elements of your course or have difficulty with distance-learning, please contact your lecturer or guidance tutor straight away. And remember our guide to remote/home working is here. More information for International Students is available on the UK Council for International Student Affairs website.

It is very important you stay connected with us. Please be patient, and try not to worry: we know that the situation is changing rapidly, and while we don’t have all the answers just now, we’re working hard to sort out the points you raise about remote teaching and learning.

The Scottish Government have further information and support for students here.​

Funding/Financial Support

You will continue to receive your student financial support/funding as usual. 

Where can I find information on continuing my course? 

Your lecturer will continue to be in touch with you and online learning is being offered wherever possible.  Communication will take place via MyCity (moodle), emails and the college website.  Your lecturers may also use other media including Zoom video meetings which will be explained when you log in to MyCity and navigate to your course page. Where possible online learning will be scheduled in line with your set class times. You can find further information on remote learning here.

Further guidance from SQA around requirements for course assessments has still to be issued and we will update you when we have that. Be assured no student will be disadvantaged because of the impact of this unprecedented time. If you are concerned about your course in any way, contact your lecturer. 

When will college re-open?

As the situation is changing so rapidly, we are unable to give you a date when the College will reopen. We are continuing to be guided by Scottish Government, the Funding Council, Scottish Qualification Authority and others. We are also following the advice of medical experts, particularly Health Protection Scotland. Updates are provided on our website and social media as well as our staff and student intranets. Please check them regularly.

How can I contact my lecturer?

Lecturers are available via college email ( They will be in touch to let you know what course work to complete. Please be patient as our teaching staff are adapting to remote/home working just like you.

My lecturer has not been in touch what do I do?

If your lecturer does not respond please contact our who will pass your enquiry to the appropriate member of the curriculum team who will be in touch.


Moving to online teaching and learning will not affect your attendance record. If you are concerned or have questions, please contact our Student Support team at

Practical Assessments and Exams

Some or all practical assessments may be delayed until a future date.  We are doing everything we can to make sure that students can progress to the next stage of their course. We want to ensure that no student will be disadvantaged due to this unprecedented situation. 

UCAS Applicants

UCAS has extended its deadline for undergraduate applications by two weeks from 23 March 2020. Applicants will receive an email confirmation. Latest updates are here

Supporting Your Wellbeing

We're all adjusting to working from home/remotely and it's important to remember to look after your own wellbeing. We have lots of resources for you to use on our Mental Health and Wellbeing pages. Although we can't offer face-to-face counselling at the moment, we are able to offer telephone counselling for students. To book an assessment appointment, go to MyCity. 

I am concerned about my employment or redundancy.  Where can I find information?

Skills Development Scotland has lots of advice on employment and redundancy and have created a new service to support those seeking employment at this critical time.  The Job Hub brings together immediate job opportunities from employers across Scotland.

Information for Tier 4 International Students

We are supporting international students to complete their assessment away from college.

Please follow guidance on NHS Inform Website for up to date information and advice on the virus and measures that you can take to reduce your risk of getting or spreading the virus.

If you have to self isolate due to symptoms of Coronavirus, please log any absences on MyCity as per normal attendance procedure. All authorised absences will not affect the attendance requirements of your Tier 4 Visa. Please note that all absences must be logged on MyCity to be authorised.

For more information for International Students, please see UK Council for International Student Affairs website.


Don't worry about books or publications currently on loan from our libraries. They can be returned when the College reopens and no fee will be charged. 

Course applications and interviews

New applications are being considered as usual. 2020/21 prospective students are being offered places without the need for interview. Those remain subject to places being available and students meeting expected entry requirements and qualifications.

My leisure course has been cancelled.  Will I receive a refund for my course?

We will be in contact with students on leisure courses.  Students on these courses will receive a pro-rata refund. 

What about my part time course?

Students on part time vocational courses NC/HNC/HND/Diploma/Professional courses – we will advise students with guidance on whether courses can be completed online and what arrangements can be put in place.

I have booked onto a part time/eve/weekend course that is starting soon.  Will I receive a refund?

​Should courses be completely cancelled, then full refunds will be given or places can be deferred to a future course start date.

Will the college issue me with equipment to complete my course?

We are unable to supply equipment as our college buildings are closed to help contain the spread of coronavirus.  If you are concerned about being unable to complete your course or have challenges with accessing online learning, please speak to your lecturer. Try not to worry about assessments/course materials. We are doing all we can to ensure no student is disadvantaged in any way due to this very challenging situation. 

How do I keep updated about the latest information on Coronavirus (Covid-19)? 

This page and MyCity will be kept up to date. As this is a rapidly evolving situation, we are asking you to check these pages regularly to keep informed of the latest advice.

I'm concerned about my friend/flatmate/colleague. What should I do? 

We understand that this is a worrying time and that you may have concerns about people you care about. There is a range of wellbeing support for students.

I'm concerned about my friend/flatmate/colleague who is displaying symptoms associated with Coronavirus (Covid-19). What should I do? 

Refer to the NHS webpages for advice.

I've called 111 and been told to self-isolate. What does this mean?

Self-isolation means staying at home for 14 days and not going to college or work, using public transport such as buses or trains, or visiting public areas such as libraries, pubs or shops.  Please ask friends or family to help with shopping or other essential supplies you may need.

If you would like to speak to someone about your concerns, contact

Helpful Links