HNC Accounting (SCQF level 7)
The HNC full-time Accounting course assumes no prior knowledge of Accounting but is still suitable for those who have done it before.
It prepares you for further study of Accounting at City of Glasgow College your options being: HND level (year 2) or Association of Accounting Technicians (Level 8).
A HNC in Accounting will equip you with the knowledge and understanding you need to begin work in an accounts department in industry or the public sector. It includes a wide range of employability skills sought by employers in today's job market.
This course is placed on the Scottish Credit Qualifications Framework at Level 7. For more information on the framework visit www.scqf.org.uk/the-framework/.
- 1 relevant* Higher in an appropriate academic subject; OR
- 3 or more relevant* National 5 courses at Grade A; OR
- Successful completion of a NC in Accounting or Business; OR
- Alternative equivalent qualifications or relevant work experience.
* Relevant academic subject such as English, Maths, Accountancy, Business Management, Administration, Modern Studies, Economics, History or Science subject.
- You will be invited for a group and/or individual interview where you will get the opportunity to find out more about the course and tell us why you are interested in this subject area.
City Campus Townhead and Allan Glen Suite.
The core units that everyone must pass for an HNC are:
- Recording Financial Information
- Preparing Final Accounts
- Using Financial Accounting Software
- Cost Accounting
- Management Accounting Using IT
- Accounting: Group Award Graded Unit
Examples of other units which full-time students study to bring their total credits up to 15 are:
- IT in Business: Spreadsheets
- Business Law : An Introduction
- Economic Issues : An Introduction
- Presentation Skills
This course prepares you for a career as an:
- Accounts assistant
- Trainee accountant
- Finance assistant
- Financial administrator.
Successful students can progress on to:
- HND Accounting year 2.
As an alternative you can apply to study for the AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) qualification at Level 8. This is offered by this College as an evening class.
One year starting August.