COVID-19: Student FAQs

Is City of Glasgow College affected by the changed Coronavirus restriction levels?

The Scottish Government guidance to stay at home becomes law on Tuesday 5 January 2021. Therefore, we have taken the decision to close our campus buildings for the duration of January 2021to keep our staff and students safe, and we will provide further information on what will happen beyond January by the end of the month. We are continuing to keep a close eye on the latest expert health and safety advice and will provide further updates in line with that.

How does this affect learning and teaching?

The new restrictions will see all courses delivered online. Students should contact their lecturer if you have any questions about your course.

Will the college buildings reopen in February 2021?

Throughout the pandemic, we have taken advice and guidance from government and health officials. We will continue to follow that and update you when we can.

How long will the new arrangements stay in place?

The Scottish Government has announced that the new rules will apply across the Scottish mainland until at least the end of January, and will be kept under review.

The college will continue to closely follow government and health expert guidelines. Our website and social media channels will be updated regularly in line with those, so please regularly check in with us.

What does this mean for classes?

Staff and students will no longer be able to come onto campus and all teaching will take place online.

Will class times change in the New Year?

As the majority of classes were being delivered online during Block 1, the current timetables remain in place. Further details on courses moving from face-to-face learning to online will be provided by your faculty.

Will my funding/hardship/bursary money be affected?

Your funding will not be affected by the new local protection level. If you are concerned about finances or need support, please contact our

What about travel?

You should not travel for anything other than "essential" reasons. No one can travel into or out of Scotland unless it is for an essential purpose.  More guidance is available on the Scottish Government website

Will I still have access to student support?

In line with our digital learning approach, all our student support services are offered online. Student Services offer help and advice with applications, funding, childcare, learning support, wellbeing and more.

I am due to start a full time course in January 2021. Will that go ahead?

Applications for our January courses are still open and classes are due to start from Tuesday 5 January with all classes online. Please see individual courses for details - Full Time January Start Courses.

As government advice updates, our plans will adapt too and we will inform you of that as it happens. 

Can I come into college to use the library?

College buildings are closed however, our learning and teaching approach makes use of digital tools available within MyCity (Moodle) and Microsoft Teams which you may already be using. Those systems are what we mean by ‘online learning’.

I don’t have access to a computer, can the college help?

Please speak to your lecturer if you need further information or support with accessing online classes. There is a student laptop loan scheme available which you may be eligible for.

My course includes a work placement: will that happen?

We want you to have the best possible student experience with us and our industry partners to ensure you are work-ready when you finish your studies. Working with our partners, we are considering how you will still gain work experience safely as part of your course (where applicable). Once we have more detail on that we will share it with you.

What about students in Halls of Residence?

Students who chose to stay in our Halls of Residences will continue to be supported while there. If you were planning to return to halls of residence please do not do so during the current lockdown period. If you have any queries regarding your residence lease, please contact: or 0141 375 5534.

International Students

Our 1&1 partnership students are already online only until January 2021. Students joining us then will be provided with a range of protocols to adhere to while staying at our Halls of Residence.  This is subject to the latest government guidance.

We've updated our advice for EU students Brexit FAQs

For more information please see UK Council for International Student Affairs website.

What about part-time courses?

For students on part time vocational courses e.g. NC/HNC/HND/Diploma/Professional courses – we will advise you on new timetables when we have more detail.

I am in the shielding category, what will I do?

The college is supporting health and government guidance on shielding and self-isolation. All students who have underlying health conditions or circumstances that may make them particularly vulnerable should minimise contact with people outside your own household if you can. You should not take public transport at this time.

I am concerned about my employment or redundancy. Where can I find information?

Skills Development Scotland has lots of advice on employment and redundancy and has created a new service to support those seeking employment at this critical time. The Job Hub brings together immediate job opportunities from employers across Scotland.

How do I keep updated about the latest information on Coronavirus (Covid-19) and college?

This page, our college intranet, social media and MyCity will be kept up to date. As this is an ongoing situation, we are asking you to check these pages regularly to keep informed of the latest advice.

If you would like to speak to someone about your concerns, contact

Helpful Links