Whether you are considering living away from home for the first time or you’re a seasoned flat-hunter, the following pages will provide  information about your options. Remember that living away from home can be expensive and living at home with the support of family might be a more practical option while you pursue your studies.

However, whatever you decide we are here to help. Young students living away from home for the first time may wish to consider our Halls of Residence as a safe and secure option.

Background image: 

Self-catered accommodation is situated directly across from the Riverside Campus offering high quality en-suite accommodation for students in single rooms and a small number of shared rooms. The accommodation consists of flats which have up to 6 single rooms with residents sharing the kitchen and dining/living area.

The flats are fully equipped with cookers, fridge freezers, cooking equipment, utensils, crockery and cutlery. Each study bedroom is equipped with attractive furnishings and all bed linen is provided, however students are required to provide their own towels. All bedrooms have an internet access point. Please enquire when booking as terms and conditions apply.

Fees include the cost of accommodation, heating, lighting and a cleaning service for common areas in the flats and a weekly service of bedrooms within the flats. This student residence combines high quality living at an affordable price, representing excellent value for money. Some ground floor flats are specially designed to help those with mobility problems. This residence is offered on a 40 week contract basis.

Fees: from £105.00 per week. £300 should be paid towards rent at time of booking. This advance payment of £300.00 is non-refundable should the accommodation be cancelled.

The College will also have other rooms available which are located nearer City Campus, the cost of this accommodation is from £110.00 per week.  For further details about all available accommodation please contact Lorna or Laura on the below number or email address.

Telephone: 0141 565 2884

DisabledGo Access

In addition to the College’s Halls of Residence there are privately run halls close to the College. This type of accommodation is specifically aimed at students and the prices can vary, so it is important that you look at all options.

You can choose to live in single en-suite room and share kitchen facilities, or you can rent a flat on your own; generally it is cheaper to share accommodation. Rent is usually inclusive of utilities but is important that you check this before committing to a tenancy

Below are some of the privately run student residencies that are close to the City Campus. Please note all of the rooms shown below are the cheapest available. Prices vary.

Gibson Street,
Glasgow G12 8SY

0800 783 4213

From £132 per week
includes bills and Internet.

Deposit: £250

Thurso Street
1-3 Thurso Street
Glasgow G11 6PE

0800 783 4213

From £129 per week includes bills and Internet.

Deposit: £250

Kelvin Court
30 Yorkhill Street
Glasgow G3 8RY

0800 783 4213

From £125 per week
includes bills and Internet.

Deposit: £250

Buchanan View
35 Calgary Street

0800 783 4213

From £98 per week includes bills and Internet.

Deposit: £250

Blackfriars Road
G1 1QL

0800 783 4213

From £98 per week includes bills and internet

Deposit: £250

Fresh Student Living

10 Havana Street
G4 0VX

0141 248 9949

From £98 per week includes bills and Internet

Deposit: £250

Victoria Halls
171 Kyle Street
Bells Pottery

0141 354 4100

From £93 per week includes £300 electricity allowance & contents insurance £150 extra for Internet.

No Deposit.

Firhill Court
80 Firhill Road
G20 7BA

0141 946 6468 

£59 per week-includes
electricity and Internet for up to £250 for the year.

Deposit: £300
Booking Fee: £100

Liberty Living
59 Miller Street
G1 1EB

0141 248 9949

From £103 per week includes bills and Internet access

From £108 per week
includes bills and Internet

Deposit: £200

There are a number of ways to find property with a private landlord. Some landlords manage the letting process themselves, whilst others use letting agents who help them rent and maintain their property. Newspapers and magazines also have regular adverts for flats/bedists for rent. These include The Herald, Daily Record and Evening Times are run adverts.

The Internet is also a good place to start with any accommodation search. Many students use Gum Tree to look for flatshares. If you are responding to any advert from a private landlord or flatshare and you arrange a viewing, it is always advisable to take a friend with you.

Union Chambers
114 Union Street
G1 3QQ

0141 221 7993

Harvey & Co
5 St Vincent Place
G1 2DH

0141 204 1100

123 Stockwell Street
G1 4LT    

0141 552 7728

Merchant Lettings
26 Springfield Court
2nd floor
G1 3DQ

0141 221 2998

637-639 Pollokshaws Road
G41 2QG

0141 423 5522

104 Bellgrove Street
G40 2QR  

0141 550 8888

You can also search for properties using various property websites:

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is a benefit that helps people meet the cost of rent; it is administered by local Councils. Most full–time students are not eligible for Housing Benefit, although there are some exceptions. If you are studying a course of further education (e.g. Access, NQ, Intermediates, and Foundation), you can claim Housing Benefit if you:

  • are aged under 19 OR
  • are aged 19 but you were under 19 when you started the course. (your entitlement will stop when you
  • reach 21 unless you are eligible under different rules) OR
  • are in receipt of Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance (income based) OR
  • are a lone parent with a child under 16 (or under 20 if you still receive Child Benefit for your child) OR
  • are disabled (i.e. if you get DLA or long term Incapacity Benefit) OR
  • have been incapable of work for the past 28 weeks OR
  • have a partner who is also a student and you have a dependent child OR
  • are aged 60 or over or have a partner who is over 60

Where to apply

Glasgow Residents should apply to:

Housing Benefit Revenue Centre
280 George Street

If you live in another Council area you should visit your local Council office or download a Housing Benefit application from their website.

If you are unsure of your entitlement or if you would like further information, please come in to see a Student Advisor in your nearest Student Services base.

Alternatively you can phone us or email us:

Telephone: 0141 566 4134/ 0141 272 6318

Council Tax

Council Tax is a charge on residential properties that is paid to your local Council. Only those over 18 are liable, although most full time students are exempt from Council Tax charges. You will, however, still have to claim the exemption. To do this, you will have to complete an exemption form and get this stamped by the College.

If you live in the Glasgow City Council area, you can pick up an exemption form from Student Services. If you share a flat with someone who is not a student and that person is liable to pay the Council tax, they are able to claim the 25% rebate.

student getting advice
Students walking along corridor