Student speaking to Student Services at their helpdesk.


To be treated as a Scottish home student you must meet all of the following three conditions:

  1. You normally live in Scotland on the first day of the first academic year of the course (usually 1st August); and
  2. You've been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course.
  3. You're a UK national or have 'settled status' (no restrictions on how long you can stay).

If you don't meet all of the three conditions, you may still be eligible for some elements of support if you meet the requirements of one of the other UK residency categories listed:

  • You're an EU national, or family member of an EU national with settled/pre settled status.
  • You're a refugee.
  • You're under humanitarian protection (as a result of a failed application for Asylum).
  • You're a migrant worker.
  • You're a child of a Swiss national; or
  • You're a child of a Turkish worker.
  • You're a Syrian Refugee (VPRS).

You must also normally be living in Scotland on the first day of the first academic year of the course.

If you do not meet the residency criteria you will be liable to pay the college tuition fee and you are advised to contact student services to find out what level of fee will apply.

You can find out more information on residency on the SAAS website.