HND Display Design for Retail (SCQF level 8)
Outside London, this is the UK’s only further education course in Retail Display Design at this level. This two-year course provides a wide understanding of all aspects of design necessary for a career in Retail Display Design.
The course is very vocational and has direct links to the retail sector which prepares students for employment in the industry once successfully completing their qualification.
Focusing on three-dimensional design, you’ll develop your creative abilities and artistic skills. You’ll also learn the personal and professional effectiveness you’ll need for a career in the retail display sector through work experience placements.
Students who successfully complete this course will be awarded an HND Display Design/HND Display Design for Retail.
This course is placed on the Scottish Credit Qualifications Framework at Level 8. For more information on the framework visit www.scqf.org.uk/the-framework/.
- Two Higher Grade passes at Grade C or above, preferably including Art and English and two other passes at Standard Grade (or equivalent) at band 3 or above; OR
- Two Higher Grade passes at Grade C or above, preferably including Art and English and two National 4 qualifications; OR
- NQ Art & Design (or equivalent).
- You will be invited for a group and/or individual interview where you will get the opportunity to find out more about the course and tell us why you are interested in this subject area.
- At the interview you will be asked to provide examples of your art and design work.
North Hanover Street Campus
- Display Design
- Special Promotions Display Design: Seasonal
- Digital Imaging; Introduction to Sculpture
- Mixed Media
- Fashion Illustration
- Observational Drawing
- Drawing for 3D Design
- Sign Design and Colour Application
- Exhibition – Design
- Creative Concept
- Graded Unit 1
- Display Design: 3D Design
- Digital Modeling– 3D Studio Max
- In Store Display
- Display Design: Prestige
- Mixed Media Portfolio
- Observational Drawing Portfolio
- Contemporary Art
- Professional Practice: Employment Experience2
- Commercial Work Placement
- Graded Unit 2
- Art and Design: Cultural Identity
- 3D Design Model Making
- Graphic Design 3 Dimensional Project
- Introduction to Lighting
Demand for Retail Display Designers is continuous within the retail sector. Previous students are employed by national and international companies such as Levi's, French Connection, Ikea, Frasers, BHS, Marks and Spencer and John Lewis.
For Higher Education apply to first or second year entry to Art Schools and Universities. Past students have progressed to Higher Education courses at various Art Schools and Universities such as the Glasgow School of Art, Edinburgh College of Art, University of Edinburgh, Duncan of Jordonstone College of Art, School of Textiles and Design at Heriot -Watt University, and the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland.
Two years starting September.
0141 566 6222 ext. 4339